Amant is seeking applications from artists working in a wide range of disciplines for its international residency program in New York.
The NYC Residency Program for international artists has three iterations—Fall, Winter, and Spring—and is the central focus of all their in-house activities. Four artists’ studios enable practitioners to pursue their individual artistic goals while also being closely integrated into the organization’s wider community programming during their three-month New York City visit.
Amant takes pride in hosting artists at all stages of their careers and across a wide array of disciplines from the visual arts, literature, performance, filmmaking, and cultural theory with the singular belief that exchanging ideas and experiences about art production will enhance everyone’s work. The residents are actively encouraged to participate in workshops, presentations, and discussions in pursuit of that aim.
Amant is also committed to providing their residents with the full experience of living and working in New York by facilitating their connections to major institutions and key figures in the city’s world-renowned professional art scene. They hope that such advice and help may aid and abet their artistic practices. But above all else, Amant is steadfastly committed to providing residents with the time and support to explore and experiment within their practices.
Artists are invited to participate in the residency or selected through an open call based on a research proposal. Amant releases a call for applications once a year, during which time applications are accepted.
The residency comprises:
• Individual studios, a communal area and outdoor space. The studios are situated within the main building, which also includes exhibition galleries, a library/reading room and a performance space to carry out rehearsals and other activities.
• Return economy flights and airport transfers to NY.
• A monthly stipend of $3,000.00 to offset the costs of accommodation, transport and day-to-day expenses. Amant studios are not residential.
• The opportunity to benefit from the expertise of the artistic team at Amant as being exposed to its exhibitions and event programs. In this regard, the residents will be asked to do a public program event during the course of the residency.
• Introducing residents through special meetings with local researchers and art professionals relevant to their needs, and access to a rich network of institutions in NY.
• The residency welcomes letters from both, emerging artists and from artists with professional standing in their field. Applications are accepted from creative practitioners and academics in a variety of disciplines: visual artists, writers, composers, performers, filmmakers, historians and theorists; working at the research stage of a project.
• During the period at Amant, artists can develop their work and follow up with their projects on their own terms. They strongly recommend residents to participate in Amant’s on-going programs and activities, sharing ideas internally and publicly through different formats and methodologies. We highly value openness to cross-disciplinary conversations.
Amant does an open call once a year and the residencies have a duration of three months. The program can accommodate four residents at a time.Funding & accommodations
Your application should include the following, both of which can be submitted via the application.
• Application form.
The porfolio should be a single PDF that contains the following:
• A CV/Resume. No longer than four pages and emphasize only your most significant achievements, publications, exhibits, etc.
• Images of your work (up to 10). Images should include captions and short descriptions.
• For videos/films, and sound recordings, provide links (up to 5).
• Samples of published writing (up to 15 pages total). If you are applying as a writer, historian or theorist.
• Please name the portfolio as follows: lastname_Amant NY_2021-2022
• If the portfolio is not in PDF format or if it is over 10MB you will not be able to submit it.
Deadline: December 18, 2020.
For more information Amand Residency 2020_21 New York.