The Enoa network is actively seeking to support artists currently under-represented in the opera world for historical, cultural or social reasons. The network is aware of the urgent need for the opera world to take part in a necessary culture shift by opening its institutions to equalize access, better diversity and achieve true inclusion.
Their hope with the immersive residency program is to open enoa institutions’ doors to a wider and diverse pool of talented artists to enrich the opera landscape with new narratives and aesthetics. With this aim, the enoa network offers support, mentorship and mobility through a tailor-made residency for artists without significant opera experience.
OBJECTIVES OF THE IMMERSIVE RESIDENCY
For the artists:
• an opportunity to challenge their perception of what opera and music theatre can be and to get a better understanding of the genre
• an open opportunity to take their work in new directions
• easier opportunities to join an international network of peers and professionals in the operatic field
For the institution:
• taking inspiration from the artists and benefiting from their skills
• widening the talent pool the institution can collaborate with in the future
• a better understanding of how opera is received by the artists and how it could change to be more accessible
WHO CAN APPLY?
• An artist highly interested in the development of opera creation / interdisciplinary musical and artistic forms
• An experienced artist in any artistic field (jazz, theatre, dance, poetry, visual art, literature, etc.)
• An artist without significant opera experience
• Applicants must be professional creators. Performers are welcome but should apply as project leader or creator
• No age limit
• European based
• English comprehension
CONTENT OF THE PROGRAMME
• Structured relationship up to 18 months with an enoainstitution to have access and insight into the opera world while benefiting from their host artistic and cultural networks
• Four-day kick-off workshop at LOD muziektheaterdedicated to opera creation for all the immersive residency programme fellows
• Mentoring sessions and coaching by an expert, an artist or a representative of the institution
• Personalized support provided by a referent in the institution to regularly identify the needs and organize all the actions and meetings
• Possibilities to attend enoa workshops to reflect on opera creation, gain technical and artistic skills and foster career development
• Possibilities to build a professional network by meeting the enoa members and having several opportunities to meet and network with the other immersive programme fellows
• Support to understand the best way to pitch and talk about one’s own work. Optional opportunity to pitch project to members
• Mobility grant
WHAT DO WE EXPECT
During the residency, the artist communicates its experience throughout the 18 months.
At the end, we expect a report by the artist in any form.
WHEN & WHERE
• Four-day kick-off workshop – 15 – 18 February 2021 (at LOD muziektheater, depending on the evolution of the COVID-19 health situation)
• Residency – between February 2021 and May 2022 (period and length to be defined with the hosting institution)
There are 8 open residency opportunities in total:
• Festival d’Aix-en-Provence – 2 positions
• Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation – 1 position
• Snape Maltings – 2 positions
• Fondation Operosa – 2 positions
• LOD muziektheater – 1 position
A mobility grant up to 5,700€ which will cover travel, accommodation and food to:
• attend the kick-off workshop
• visit the hosting institution (in case the artist was not local based)
• meet artists and professionals
• attend enoa workshops
Let us know if we can do anything to facilitate this residency or make your application easier (ex. childcare, an additional mobility help, an interpreter?)
HOW TO APPLY
In order to make this programme as tailor-made as possible to the artist’s needs, each applicant is expected to submit a proposal for a specific enoa institution via a Google form.
• a video of intent of 3’ max for you to tell us a bit about your background and why you want to participate in this programme? If that is impossible, you can send a written cover letter (2 pages max)
• CV or equivalent (optional)
Deadline to apply: November 27, 2020.
You can contact us if you have any question or if you need help to fulfill the form: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information visit Enoa Immersive residencies