Lexus is pleased to announce the call for entries for the Lexus Design Award 2021. Since 2013, the worldwide design competition has served as a platform for emerging designers and creators whose works can lead to a better future
Every year the event attracts thousands of entrants from around the world who aspire to win the coveted award for innovative design excellence. The 2021 award remains committed to supporting tomorrow’s creators with a new launchpad for their careers with world class mentoring, prototype funding, and unparalleled global exposure.
From the thousands of entries from around the world, one Grand Prix winner will be selected. The Grand-Prix Selection will link the six finalists with an esteemed judging panel of today’s most influential figures in art, design, and technology.
Past judges have included such luminaries as Paola Antonelli (2013 – 2020), Aric Chen (2013 – 2017), and Sir David Adjaye (2017 – 2018).
The judges’ decision on the Grand Prix winner will be based on the three key principles of the Lexus brand: Anticipate, Innovate, and Captivate, with an emphasis on design that leads to a better tomorrow.
The Lexus Design Award 2021 Judges will be announced this fall.
• The Lexus Design Award is open to professionals, students and design enthusiasts around the world. Entrants are individuals who have reached the age of majority in their home country. Every year, creators from countries around the world submit design proposals, many of which leverage the power of technology to design for a better tomorrow.
• Submissions span across the categories of Industrial Design, Architecture, Technology/Engineering, Interior Design, and Fashion Design.
• Applicants will need to develop innovative designs and bring fresh imaginative solutions that highlight the creative interplay between design and technology. At the same time, their ideas and designs should be captivating and engaging to the audience and the esteemed judging panel.
– Name of project
– One Line Short Description (Within 15 words)
– Full Description (Within 250 words)
– Include information on the background of the work, production / manufacturing process, materials used for construction and any facts or details you think are needed to fully explain your work.
How your work makes the world a better place considering 3 judging criteria:
1. Anticipate: How does your design anticipate the user experience and ultimately benefit society? (100 words)
2. Innovate: How is your design original and innovative? (100 words)
3. Captivate: How does your design captivate people? (100 words)
– Images: 2 images are mandatory; one main image of your work and one image that demonstrates how your work would function or be used. 6 additional images are optional.
• Invitation to exhibit at Milan Design Week at Lexus Design Event.
• World-class Mentoring Workshop in New York City.
• Funding to bring your design to life.
Subject to change. See Official Rules for more details.
Grand Prix trophy designed by Hideki Yoshimoto.
Six Finalists will be chosen and prototypes of their submitted proposals will be exhibited at the 2021 Lexus Design Event at Milan Design Week, where the Grand Prix winner will be announced.
Before the Grand Prix selection event, Finalists will participate in a workshop with world class design professionals serving as Mentors to develop their prototypes. There will be continual follow-up by the Mentors as the Finalists develop their designs into physical prototypes. Prototype production costs up to 3 million JPY (over $25,000 USD), including tax, will be covered.
Deadline: October 11th at 23:59 CET.
For more information visit Linux Award Design 2021