The Scottish Arts Club Short Story Competition is open to writers worldwide. You do not have to be Scottish to enter!
The Scottish Arts Trust is the body responsible for the overall management of the Scottish Arts Club Short Story Competition, the Isobel Lodge Fund and the Edinburgh Flash Fiction Award.
The Trust was set up in 2014 to advance all forms of the creative arts in Scotland, to improve the accessibility of the creative arts to the general public and to encourage and assist in the development of up-and-coming artists, exhibitors and performers.
The Trust aims to expand opportunities for audiences to see, use, and experience the arts in ways that can inspire, enhance knowledge, and improve the quality of life. The Trust also manages the Scottish Portrait Awards.
The chief judge for the 2020 award is Andrew O’Hagan, he is assisted by a team of passionate and experienced readers in the early rounds, who work together in teams reviewing the stories. Each story that makes it to the final round of the competition has been reviewed about 40 times.
Stories should be 2,000 words or fewer and may be on any topic.
2020 Prizes include:
• First prize of £1,000, second prize £500, third prize £250 open to writers worldwide
• £500 Isobel Lodge Award open to unpublished writers born, living or studying in Scotland.
• The Scottish Arts Club will present one year free membership of the Club to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place and Isobel Lodge winners. Explore the Club and its many affiliations in other cities (Please note this offer does not apply to current or former members of the Scottish Arts Club.)
• Dedicated page on the Scottish arts club website for all finalists to promote their work and share insights about their writing life. Go to the Writers’ Pages.
• The Scottish Arts Club Member’s Prize is awarded by their reader’s panel to the top story entered by a member of the Scottish Arts Club of at least two years standing.
• The short-list of seven finalists will be published by 20 August 2020. All six finalists will be contacted by phone or email by 20 August and invited to attend the Scottish Arts Club Short Story Awards Dinner to be held on Saturday 3 October 2020. For a limited period the stories of all seven finalists will be published on this website.
Details: click here to enter competition
Deadline: February 29.